To add a caption in Word
- From the Ribbon, click the tab References.
- On the References tab, within the menu group Captions, click Insert Caption (keyboard shortcut key: Alt+S+P). The dialog box Caption appears.
- Select a caption label from the drop-down list Label (default labels are Equation, Figure, and Table).
- Enter a caption next to the label in the Caption field.
- Click OK.
To insert a new Label
- On the Caption dialog box, click the button New Label.
- Enter the new label name in the New Label pop-up window.
- Click OK. the New label is added to the drop-down list Label.
4 thoughts on “How to add caption to a figure in Word and insert a new Label for a caption”
Thanks it really works.
It won’t let me type anything in the Caption textbox. Any suggestions?
Please follow the steps a bit carefully…you should be able to type a caption just beside the caption label.
Any keyboard shortcut for this? Requiring mucking about in the ribbon is poor usability.