The Developer tab needs to be enabled in the Ribbon if you want to use the ActiveX controls, record Macros, code in Visual Basic, write XML commands, run macros, enforce document protection, etc. in Word. By default, the Developer tab is not made available in the Ribbon. You can enable it from Word Options.
In Word 2007
- Click the Office button and then click the Word Options button from the bottom of the drop-down list. The Word Options dialog box appears.
- From the Word Options dialog box, click the category Popular from the category list pane on the left hand side.
- On the right hand side, under the section heading “Top options for working with Word section”, select the check box for the option “Show developer tab in the ribbon”.
- Click OK.
In Word 2010
- Click the File tab. A drop-down list appears.
- From the drop-down list, click Options. The Word Options dialog box appears.
- On the dialog box, click category Customize Ribbon from the category list.
- On the right-hand-side pane, under Main Tabs, select the Developer check box.