What if you need to use different page number formats (1, 2,….or I, II, …. or A, B, C,….etc.) in different sections of a document? Many writers follow this convention of using Roman numerals in the initial few pages and continue with integer numbers for the rest of the pages of the document.
To achieve such page numbering style in MS Word, we need to use Section Breaks. Each document section can have unique page number format.
The following procedure shows how to insert Roman numerals on the Footer section of the first three pages of a document and then integers for the rest of the document.
Firstly, will divide the document into two sections by applying a Section Break. The first section will consist of the first three pages of the document.
To apply a section break
- Place mouse cursor at the bottom of the third page of the document.
- From the Ribbon, under the tab Page Layout, within the group Page Setup, click Breaks. A drop-down list appears.
- From the list, select option Next Page available under Section Breaks.
See the following image:
Word inserts a Section Break at the end of the third page. If you are unable to view the Section Break, click Ctrl+Shift+8. With a Section break, Word divides the document into two logical sections.
To enable the Footer section of the document
- Right-click at the bottom of the document and then click Edit Footer. Word enables the Footer section.
- Place cursor at the Footer section of the third page (where you are going to insert page number). Now, we are going to insert page number in the footer.
To insert page number
- On the Insert tab, within the group Header & Footer, click the Page Number drop-down and then point to Current Position. From the Current Position sub menu, select Plain Number (see below image). Word inserts a page number at the cursor position for the first three pages.
- Subsequently, change the page number format to Roman numbers.
- Select the page number that has been inserted.
- On the Insert tab, within the group Header & Footer group, click Page Number and then navigate to Format Page Numbers.
- On the Format Page Numbers dialog box, select Roman numerals from the Number Format drop-down list.
- Word replaces the integer numbers with Roman numerals as pages i, ii and iii.
See the following image:
3. Now, place cursor at the Footer section of the fourth page. Then, on the Insert tab, within the group Header & Footer, click the Page Number drop-down and then click Current Position drop-down list and select Plain Number format. Word will insert page number starting with number.
Note: If you do not want your cover page to have the page number, do the following:
- On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click the arrow button on the right bottom corner. The Page Setup window appears.
- Select the Different First Page check box.
- Click OK.