MS Word Know How

Updating and Formatting Table of Contents

Advertisements

Categories

www.powerpointknowhow.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Updating Table of Contents

After creating a Table of Contents if you had made changes to the document and wish to update the Table of Contents accordingly, do the following:

1.  Right-click on the Table of Contents
  2. From the right-click menu, click Update Field. Update Table of Contents dialog box appears.
  3. Select the option Update Entire Table
  4. Click OK.

See below image:

update table of content

Formatting Table of Contents

You can modify the appearance of a Table of Contents by formatting the text in the table of contents.

1. View the default styles for each heading level in the Styles gallery. To open the Styles gallery widget, click Alt+O+S. See below image:

format table of cotents1

1. Click the down arrow button next to a style in the gallery, click Modify. Modify Style dialog box appears.
  2. In the Modify Style dialog box, you can modify properties such as font, paragraph, tabs, border, for each heading level in the Table of Contents.

See below image:

format table of cotents2

Advertisements

12 Comments

1. Bishnu says:

Let me give an example then I will put my question. I have ‘INTRODUCTION’ (heading 2) and it is in page no. 1. In the table of content, I need ‘INTRODUCTION’ in ‘Times in New Roman’ font and ‘1’ in ‘Calibri’ font, is it possible to do so or not. If possible, How can I do this?

• wordknowhow says:

Hi Bishnu, thank you for the question. You can change the font type of a heading in the ‘table of content’ using the ‘Styles’ pane (press Alt+O+S). However, the selected font type will be applied to all the similar headings in the TOC.
      Steps: 1) Select the heading style (INTRODUCTION in your case) from the table of content. 2) Right-click the relevant style highlighted in the ‘Styles’ pane 3) Click ‘Modify’ from the right-click menu.
      4) Select the font you desire in the ‘Modify Style’ dialog box

Similarly, you can change the font size of the page number (footer) as you wish. 1) Select the page number in the footer 2) Right-click the ‘Footer’ style in the ‘Styles’ 3) Change the font in the Modify Styles dialog box.

Thanks,
      Anupam

2. Anonymous says:

3. Larry says:

I already have a table of contents. How do I add ONE item to it?

• wordknowhow says:

Hi Larry, you cannot add item to a TOC per say; TOC is automatically updated after you have assign a heading style to some text in your document. After you have assigned a heading style, right-click on the TOC and click ‘Update’

4. Anonymous says:

Thankyou…it helped me:)

5. Anonymous says:

What if you have to “add” more text and using the right click update option does not format correctly. How do I get the TOC to link to where it is at in the documents.

6. Almond E. Brown says:

This literally just saved me from a complete and total breakdown. Many thanks!

7. Paul says:

The post really helped me to change the font color of the TOC1 heading level. Changed it from black to white so it would stand out against a dark photo page background.

If the post really helped you, please leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

Hi there!! Greetings from Anupam….

Please visit my PowerPoint blog: